Our school zone is available on findmyschool.vic.gov.au

Findmyschool.vic.gov.au hosts the most up-to-date information about Victorian school zones for 2020 onwards. Students residing in our zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address. The Department provides guidance through the School Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and the freedom to choose other schools, subject to facility limitations. We encourage you to visit the website to answer any queries you may have about enrolling at Patterson River Secondary College.

Right of Entry

A child residing permanently in the neighbourhood area has the right to attend Patterson River Secondary College unless already enrolled in a secondary school. Patterson River Secondary College has a designated neighbourhood zone (see below), as defined by the Department of Education & Training. The student must be living with the parent or guardian at the permanent address or spend a substantial part of their time at that address. The permanent residential address is defined as one where:

  • The home is owned by the parent or guardian
  • The home is under purchase
  • The home is leased from a registered real estate agent for a minimum of 12 months from the time a child is to commence. Evidence of the above will be required to authenticate residence. Other evidence may also be requested e.g. rates notice, utility bill, medicare card and relevant VISA documents (showing parent/legal guardian and child’s name).

There is no automatic sibling claim, but ‘wherever practical’ a student should be enrolled at the same school as that attended by an older brother or sister who resides permanently at the same address.

Order for Priority Enrolments

  1. Students for whom Patterson River Secondary College is the designated neighbourhood school.
  2. Students who reside permanently at the same address as a brother or sister currently attending the Patterson River.
  3. Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds*.
  4. In a limited number of cases, a student may be enrolled on compassionate grounds, where there are significant family or individual circumstances. Wherever possible, the College will attempt to enroll students from main feeder primary schools who reside outside of zone provided that there are spaces available.
  5. Any additional spaces available will filled with students who are the next closest to our school zone.

* Specific Curriculum Grounds Claims

Parents/guardians who live outside the neighbourhood area may be considered for enrolment on the following curriculum grounds:

  1. The student has been studying German at primary school, their child’s neighbourhood school does not offer these languages as part of the curriculum and the child is interested in pursuing these studies to a senior level.
  2. The student has a desire to participate in an EXCEL Program (Academic and/or Sport)
  3. The student has a desire to participate in the Instrumental Music Program and has a proven interest in that area of the curriculum.
  4. The student has a desire to participate in the STEM Program and has a proven interest in that area of the curriculum.
  5. The parent/guardian is able to demonstrate clear curriculum continuity links between their child’s primary school and the College.
  6. The parent/guardian is able to demonstrate that the College provides a specific curriculum focus that is not available at other secondary colleges.

Additional information may be sought to support an application for enrolment on curriculum grounds. It is essential that all communication between the College and parents is in writing and processed according to the above guidelines.

Process for completing an out of zone application

  1. Ensure that Patterson River is indicated as the preferred school on the Application for Enrolment (Year 7) form provided by your child’s primary school in April.
  2. Provide any supporting evidence for an out of zone application according to the guidelines above and submitting in writing to the general office or electronically via this online form.