Laptop Program (BYOD)
Patterson River was one of the first schools in Australia to implement a Virtual Desktop Interface (VDI) Network. This innovative approach allows students to bring in their own laptop or tablet to use our software, file storage and network.
In addition, students are able to log in from home to access software and their files. Our extensive network allows over 1500 devices to connect every day. We expect all students to bring their own device to school to use to support their learning every day.
Benefits of a bring your own device (BYOD) program
- Families are not locked into the requirement of purchasing/leasing a new device upon starting secondary school
- No need to buy/update software for school
- Cloud based file storage for students (no lost work) via Office 365
- No time wasted for teachers needing to help students with different software versions.
OPTION 1: Students bring an existing device from home that meets our specifications (as listed below).
OPTION 2: Parents buy a computer through finance arrangements directly from a company.
OPTION 3: Parents purchase new device from one of the identified vendors outright.
The Department of Education & Training (DET) has a list of authorised suppliers for computers and hardware to schools, these are reputable companies that have been tested and approved by DET. The College has no formal relationship with these vendors and receives no financial benefit if families choose to purchase from these vendors. The approved vendors are:
- Learning with Technology – http://PRSC.orderportal.com.au
- Edunet – https://pattersonriversc.technologyportal.com.au (Login: PRSC2023)
Device minimum specifications
Device specifications that must be met:
- Screen Size must be above 10 inches and no more than 17 inches
- Device must be able to hold charge for the entire school day
- Protective cover and carry case
- Warranty and insurance
- Camera and microphone.
- Must have Windows 10 or above installed
- Must have OSX version 10.15 or above installed
For more information please check the College website BYOD tab or contact the College IT department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.