Enrolment Guidelines & Out of Zone Application Process
Our school zone
Students residing in this zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address.
The Department provides guidance through the School Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and the freedom to choose other schools, subject to facility limitations.
You can find more information and answers to frequently asked questions on the Department’s website under School zones.
For more information
If you have a question about school zones call the VSBA Hotline on 1800 896 950 or email: email@example.com
Application for Year 7, 2021
Procedure for students living in the College neighbourhood zone
- Each student will be provided with an application form for Year 7 student enrolment from their primary school. This form is general for all Year 6’s and is known as the Southern Metropolitan Region – Application for Enrolment (Year 7) Form.
- Complete the form:
- The address shown must be the student’s current residential address
- Identify Patterson River Secondary College as your first choice.
- Return the completed form to the primary school by the due date.
Note: This form must be returned to the primary school.
- You will be contacted by your Primary School after Patterson River Secondary College has informed them that we have accepted the student placement.
Recent Changes to School Zones
The Department of Education & Training recently announced new school zones. This has resulted in a change of the zone for Patterson River Secondary. The new zone excludes some housing that was previously considered to be in zone. These area includes pockets of Seaford, Chelsea, Chelsea Heights, Edithvale and Carrum Downs.
Families who reside in areas no longer considered inside of zone will need to ensure that they complete an out of zone application to support a Year 7 2020 enrolment application
Process for completing an out of zone application
PLEASE COMPLETE OUT OF ZONE APPLICATION HERE : https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/zone2020
- Ensure that Patterson River is indicated as the preferred school on the Year Application for Enrolment (Year 7) form provided by your child’s primary school in April.
- Provide any supporting evidence for an out of zone application according to the guidelines above via here or submitting in writing to the general office (post or in person).
Order for Priority Enrolments
1. Students for whom Patterson River Secondary College is the designated neighbourhood school.
2. Students who reside permanently at the same address as a brother or sister currently attending the Patterson River.
3. Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds*.
4. In a limited number of cases, a student may be enrolled on compassionate grounds, where there are significant family or individual circumstances. Wherever possible, the College will attempt to enrol students from main feeder primary schools who reside outside of zone provided that there are spaces available.
5. Any additional spaces available will filled with students who are the next closest to our school zone.
*Specific Curriculum Grounds Claims
Parents/guardians who live outside the neighbourhood area may be considered for enrolment on the following curriculum grounds:
1. The student has been studying either German at primary school, their child’s neighbourhood school does not offer these languages as part of the curriculum and the child is interested in pursuing these studies to a senior level.
2. The student has a desire to participate in an EXCEL Program (Academic and/or Sports)
3. The student has a desire to participate in the Instrumental Music Program and has a proven interest in that area of the curriculum.
4. The student has a desire to participate in the STEM Program and has a proven interest in that area of the curriculum.
5. The parent/guardian is able to demonstrate clear curriculum continuity links between their child’s primary school and the college.
6. The parent/guardian is able to demonstrate that the college provides a specific curriculum focus that is not available at other secondary colleges.
Additional information may be sought to support an application for enrolment on curriculum grounds. It is essential that all communication between the college and parents is in writing and processed according to the above guidelines.
*A guardian is defined as one who has been legally appointed to take responsibility for the person making the application for enrolment.